We did have some pretty good luck with basil this year, so you know what that means: Pesto!
The recipe I used was basically this Basil Pesto Recipe, except I used walnuts. Here it is going into the food processor:
And here’s the finished product:
Good stuff. Too bad I got this bounty right after I started dieting, and could no longer do pasta.
I have never had any luck with melons, except for that one time.
One year, a friend of ours gave us a melon plant, and it grew like crazy. We got one good melon off of it, and it was the best thing I’d ever tasted. I grew up with mealy melons in cafeteria fruit salads, so I had no idea melon could taste good.
None of the other melons from that plant made it to fruition, and neither have any other melons I’ve ever had.
That didn’t stop me from trying again this year, but again, it was a comedy of errors. They started out as you see here, then got covered with these weird veins. After a few trips to the grocery store to compare, I determined that’s what they’re supposed to do.
The first few we had went rotten, then we read you should put them up on egg cartons or straw. That helped, but none of them quite made it.
I’ll try it again next year. My theory is I planted them too late, and they didn’t get enough sunshine. And here’s hoping I get back to that original first melon.